About Me

I've been working with kids ever since I left Uni. My goal is to become a teacher one day but not quite yet. I feel I have a lot to learn and the outdoors is the environment to learn from. Many people have become detached from nature and the outdoors and I want to immerse myself into nature to learn from it and then pass on what I've learnt to others.

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Summer Explorers

It stared off wet, drizzly, cold, windy but today has turned into a perfect day. The sun is shining and everyone is happy, especially me. I've been working for Anna and Beth today with their 'Summer Explorers' club. Pretty much playing with fire, cooking and games in the woods with kids. I'm hoping to work with them for the rest of the week, if the project leader lets me. It was great to see all of these kids who weren't scared about trying new things or getting dirty. We learnt how to pick stinging nettle leaves and prepare them to eat without hurting yourself. (I'm a novice so I sting got stung a couple of times). But these kids didn't cry when they got stung. Apparently the sting from the nettles releases endorphin's into your body so actually makes you feel happier. Beth rubs herself in stinging nettles every morning but I think that's a little far for me.

I'm probably going to pop down to the local pub for a few drinks while reading my book tonight. Try some local cider!

No comments:

Post a Comment